Summer Vacation 2019- Kudawale

Last year one of the highlights of our vacation was our visit to Kudawale and spending 2 days with environmentalist  Dileep Kulkarni and Poornima Tai. It was an impromptu decision that worked our way beautifully. This year we wanted to plan it and make it as beautiful! We were planning to go in April , but finally made it on 8th June the last weekend before school started.


Kaka always uses public transport and has never owned a vehicle in his life. To even get an inch closer to that feeling, we thought of making the trip to Kudawle in public transport. The option was to catch a 5.30 morning bus from Swargate to Mangaon, then from Mangaon to Mandangad –bus number 2, and from Mandangad to Kudawale – bus number 3.

The heat was unbearable through the day and without a lot of deliberation on buses 1,2,3, we again compromised on the fact that we are not ready for this adventure yet and decided to drive down. So 8th morning we were ready loading the car at 6.05 am. It was a 5 hour drive to Kudawale. Car loaded with the bags was ready to reverse and let us in… but our grey Astar Ms. Dependable wouldn’t start. I got into the car, and tried to start her again, with an attitude that Sagar had missed doing something right. But she was really not ready to move; even with me.

We looked around for a battery to kick start her; but again in vain. With me on the steering, 2 security guards and Sagar physically pushed her in reverse gear out of the parking spot and gave her another motivational push for a100 meters. With the encouragement needed, having received, she now puffed and huffed and finally started, at 7.10 am. I decided not to let go of the steering wheel and we began the drive to Kudawale. I told Sagar to catch up with some sleep.

Of the many ways to go to Konkan, Tahmini ghat is the closest to Kudawale. The drive is the most scenic drive as one exit’s Pune. The single lane roads are loaded with huge trees on either sides and agricultural farms hidden and sometimes peeping through behind the trees. Some farm houses, resorts, restaurants with fantanstic views are typical on this road, that we have gotten used to by now. I have personally enjoyed this drive in solitude a couple of times; each time the nature around complementing me with its greenery, silent breeze, and rustic smell in totality.

But today, as I crossed Mulshi, my heart sank and I was overwhelmed with sadness. Sagar and Sunishka both were sleeping and I was the sole witness to the devastation around me. The Tahmini ghat road was being widened. There was huge deforestation on either side of the road and the once green cover of this road was now drab, brown and barren. The road work as usual was half done, with a small patch of 200 mtrs complete on one side and then a dug up kachha road for another 400 meters. It was a continuation of the city creeping into the single lane Tahmini ghat, now growing to cater to more demand, supply, fuel, convenience and money. The roller coaster ride was burdened with anger, hurt and disappointment.

As I was manoeuvring through this feeling, the car suddenly stalled. Though I had driven the car for over an hour, now the battery had breathed its last sigh. I woke Sagar up and he along with a passerby pushed the car ahead. Luckily just about 50 metres ahead was a scooter mechanic shop. As they do the jugaad.. he arranged for an Astar battery to be reached to us in the next 1 hour. So there we were in the midst of a barren road, at 8.15 in the morning, waiting in the car for a battery to arrive from the closest city. Sometimes I do believe that non living things too have a soul. Our Astar being a good soul decided to breath her last breath at this point, right in front of the repair shop. After this spot we were entering a 60kms of ghat where, no assistance would have been available. It was already getting hot and since the breeze was not in full swing, it was difficult to fall asleep. Sagar and I discussed the pros and cons of using public transport vs own transport, and how this trip would have been different if we had chosen public transport. Just as we were reaching different destinations with each of the routes, Sunishka woke up from her slumber all sweaty and hot. We got off the car and spotted a cute white stray dog with all her paws black with muck wagging her tail and coming towards us. The time until we got the battery, now didn’t matter for Sunishka.


For us, however, like awaiting a favourite book to be delivered through Amazon, we kept looking to identify the delivery guy who would get us our new battery. At 9.45 finally a tum tum full of people stopped in front of our car and delivered a battery to us. The mechanic did his magic and we were again on the road at around 10.20. My luck was tried and tested and so, Sagar now took to the steering.

We finally reached Kudawlae at 3 pm just like last year. Poornima Tai wasn’t there this time. So it was just us and Dileep Kaka. Dileep Kaka for us now, is an epitome of life with a purpose. His books, newsletter, all fall in line with his way of life and thus the intrigue of how one can be so pure and truthful pulls us towards him. A quick round of the house showed us that nothing much had changed since our last year’s visit. And that’s one of the reasons we were there. Just to be okay that some things don’t change
Sunishka remembered her snake encounter last year and this time too we saw snake skins around the house. The plastic like skin was shed and left to decay like dried leaves around their house. We relaxed and chatted for a while, and then around 5 left for our jamun, karanj and mango plucking activity. It was not only that Kaka was leading the way, but also that he was probably the fittest of us all, he climbed the small hills in great speed and waited for us to catch up with him. Fittness and age were inversely propotional here.

As we walked up the small hillock, we saw JCBs unearthing the land around and developing the area. It was a private property and I asked Kaka how he felt about such development around his vicinity. As a clear definition of his limits, he said it was their land and their money, which he couldn’t stop. We then asked him if he doesn’t feel the need to spread his ideas and thoughts on a larger scale. Like the idea of a school or alternate education pattern where sustainability is given importance as part of education. He joked and asked if I had a funding for it

On a serious note though, in the course of the discussion we learnt not only the importance of knowing your own strengths, but also acknowledging ones limitations. Somewhere today with the exposure and the disposable income in hand, we continue to expand our lives backed up with the financial strength, and don’t realise the limiting resources we are seeking from.

We didn’t bring home jamuns, but ate a hell lot of them all of them from the ground! By the time we walked back home it was 7 pm. We freshened up a little and then kaka did the agnihotra. It is a simple and scientific way of purifying the air around the house done twice a day – at sunrise and sunset. Then he said a few prayers which we listened with folded hands. Sunishka was seated on the swing and after couple of minutes had shut her eyes, though hands were unfolded clinging the swing!

After this was time to make dinner. Like last time, we did it together, from planning to execution. All resources were intertwined between physical labour and availability. So we had to think about it before using them. Vessels had to be washed on our own, the Chula was only one and thus planning had to be made to the tee. I had taken some vegetables along and we decided the menu based on that. I said I would try to do the cooking in the Chula which was a very different ball game compared to the gas! One thing that struck me was that there could be no multitasking happening when you cook using the Chula. One had to be totally involved mentally and physically into the process of cooking, to be able to produce good and unburnt food! You had to be in the moment. It was an experience and many more required to come out even close to being good at.

On the platter was bhindi bhaji, chapatti (that kaka made), sambhar, rice, chutney and buttermilk. We all had contributed equally towards the dinner and it was a nice feeling eating it together too. When you do things together an unseen but strongly felt bond is created. We were feeling it . All the utensils were kept under the tap outside, to be washed in the morning.

At around 10 .30 we put the beds outside in the verandah and decided to call it a day. The weather was hot and humid. There was not a whiff of breeze and it was difficult to sleep. Sunishka was getting cranky. We got a newspaper to fan her and she was quiet for a little while. But soon after that the fatigue of the day caught up and she was throwing a tantrum. It was almost 11.30 in the night and she was in tears. If we were at another location for a vacation, both of us would have done all that we could to make her feel better. If the room we were in was not upto the mark, we would have asked for another one and if in the middle of the night something didn’t work out, we would have acted on improving the situation.

Here in Kudawale, the constraints were all coming from within. Being one with the nature in its element atleast for one night couldn’t be that difficult could it?  There was a parapet made of kadappa at the entrance, which was cooler compared to the bedding. I asked her to sleep there. I fanned her whole body for around half an hour and finally she started snoring. I was tired too and finally slept around 12.30 or so. As I closed my eyes the sky was bare with couple of stars here and there.

The night with its darkness brings with it an unknown fear. And I was feeling it. The comfort of the known was gone and here I was facing the unknown without any light around or over me. Somewhere in the middle of the night I woke up to see a scintillating sky full of stars as though they had all come on to a stage for a performance. I was too tired and my eyes were shutting, but the frame was picture perfect. I woke up Sagar too to see what I was seeing. He too struggled with sleep, but hopefully got a glimpse of the night! It was like a blanket of silver dots performing a recital for me and letting me know that the darkness actually doesn’t exist if I was ready to open my eyes!  I slept now comfortably, wishing for a peaceful year ahead and thankful for the ones I spent. It was my 41st birthday.

I got up in the morning hearing birds calls from all directions around 6am. I didn’t see any big birds though this time. Probably it was too hot for them too! I tried to keep my phone in an angle where the signal to receive calls was intermittently reachable. Brushed my teeth, washed the previous night’s vessels and used the direct to soil toilet and was now ready for the day! Kaka was up doing his yogasanas.
I received my parent’s and my both my sisters phone calls. The signals for these 3 calls definitely travelled through an alternate unknown route and made it to me! I took Kakas blessings and sat down in the kitchen for another random discussion. I asked his opinion about how one needs to decide the path one needs to choose in their life. Were there any guidelines to follow? I was officially asking him my mid life crisis question

He gave me a 3 fold path that needed to all be true for one to know that the path chosen was right. Ones nature (swabhaav), should translate into one’s action/ practice (swadharma) and this needs to be in line with a social responsibility (Yugdharma) applicable in the times one was living. I absorbed these 3 guidelines with rapt attention. To be doing what you love to do and to continue that feeling of bliss this 3 fold guideline had to work in unison. And to think of it, I think everyone goes through that phase of doing things for oneself and then wanting to give back something in return to society. But having it all wound together at all times would lead to less confusion and stresses  and more fun and purpose in life! Now I understood why some actions/professions that looked perfectly right, seemed sometimes wrong from within. Nature lover’s conquering every mountain, every upper middle class family having atleast 2 homes and 3 cars, or artists/ celebrities living lavish lifestyles – all fell short of the 3rd fold in this unique mantra of life! I had a new and powerful thought along with me, urging me to rethink so many aspects of my life in a new light. This birthday gift was unique and enticing!

Sagar and I then went for a walk into the devrai. Devrai is a scared grove, a unique but effective way of conservation of forests that has lived a longer life than many other conservation techniques. Here one is allowed to only pick what has fallen on the ground and everything else is considered sacred.  This technique too, though is falling into the hands of time and exposure and the temple seemed bigger and more colourful than the last year we were there. However the situation was much better than, what we see elsewhere. We went to the small temple at the entrance. The deities .. actually I don’t even remember who the deity was ☺, but there were some stones laid down in an open temple and there were huge trees surrounding it as though protecting us from everything around. I was silent for a long time (as I am usually nowadays), but this time it was because of where I was. We spoke about how the difference of lifestyle is actually mesmerising, but whether the depth of this feeling actually could live past a couple of days.

As we came back, Sagar decided to enter the kitchen and do the honors of making breakfast for us. I was enjoying my birthday . Kaka had eaten the last night’s rice and sambhar. We had delayed his breakfast time while enjoying our morning walk! Age old traditions of eating the left over rice from last night (kept outside, not in fridge) is today found to be rich in probiotic. And without the support of research and google, we were experiencing the benefits of right living Sagar made yummy poha and Sunishka and me relished it. We left some for Kaka to have it later. I asked Kaka if there was lime to put over the poha and he said yes.. “ Poornima had told me to remove the lime from the tree”! So he plucked the one lime on the tree and cut and gave it to me!

As we ate we spoke about the termites that were entering the house at some specific spots. We know of chemically treating our houses to make them free of this menace. But here again Kaka was depending on the universal energy of sunlight to show them the way forward. Termites hate sunlight and naturally die in its presence. The whole lifestyle that Kaka was living had an etheric realm to it and any amount of logic and knowledge that we possessed somehow didn’t match up to it.

Sunishka had insisted on playing cards and we had begun a round of the game ‘marriage’ last evening. The game was stopped inconclusive and she wanted to finish the boys v girls game before we left. So we regrouped after breakfast for a game of patte!  This was the pack Kaka owned, which was probably atleast 20 years old, but was intact in its box. I suddenly remembered my mother who has all these little things for so many years back, all kept intact for many more uses!

The ambitious Sunishka was random and adhoc with her bidding, compared to Kaka who was judicious and reasonable. The difference in age, expressions, and the personality were glaring, but the warmth and humility of the human being we were with, didn’t make us feel any different. We ended the game in a draw.

We decided to bid farewell and head back to Pune. Kakas younger son Srujan had some work in Pune and so decided to come along with us. We drove back chatting with Srujan about his childhood and how it was growing in a different environment. He was so into the environment that he was brought up in, that we couldn’t see any difference between the two- him and the environment.

Half an hour into driving and the battery light lit up again in the car. I was now sure the car issues were all signals. I reflected and hoped we would be able to take the bus the next time we came to Kudawale  The problem was minor- there was a small lose connection, we got it fixed and rode along. 

I was positive and happy from within. And like the time I smiled when I first felt the snow falling on me, I smiled now at having shared a feeling of beauty in simplicity.  Dileep kakas house was harmonious with everything around and the energy that he resonated collided with the universal energy around him. And when you are in this field for whatever little time you are, you too feel special!

The Tahmini ghat drive back to Pune was less painful and more hopeful now   

Link to Dileep Kulkarnis Ted talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhw1tLjMYY

Comments

Popular Posts