No. 1250

I don’t know when and from where my forefathers actually came to Pune.. but I have spent my whole life in this city and for all its attitude and vibe, I love this city J .

I grew up in Sangamwadi, near Bund Garden road, by the bank of two merged rivers of Pune- Mula Mutha. I am basically from South America, and ideally a foreigner in this Indian city. Though having been here for 80 years now, I could get a domicile certificate!

Having grown up on the river bank, I don’t think I have missed being at my ancestral homeland. Mula-Mutha bank has been as loving and giving as probably the Amazon, where my origin could have been! I have witnessed a lot of human conversations, stories and parties and also sheltered 1000s through my canopy.  

Though, as I was growing up, I too had my teenage issues. In one of those rebellion streaks of wanting to find myself, I tried to imitate other native species around and be like them. But soon realised, how different we were. The fact that they had more friends (like birds, insects, squirrels) visiting them, was for the simple fact that all these species connected better with the native trees.

The introspective phase soon set in and I realised by strengths and learnt to live with it. I learnt that I can protect a huge number of people from the sun, but none from the rain (my namesake). I learnt that some birds have adapted to me and drink the nectar from my flowers, but haven’t yet found me compatible to have their nests on me. I learnt that I can hold the water during floods, irrespective of where I am planted. This acceptance of myself, has led to strengthened bonding with other native species around. 

However in the last one month or so, a lot has changed around me. Firstly, a group of people came in and put a number plate on each of us. I got the number ‘1250’. 

Didn’t know if the numbers had any meaning, but most of us got a number. Then machines were brought in.  This machine of some kind that make huge vibrations and noise came on board. They dumped soil brought in from elsewhere on our land and then one evening… they did the unthinkable.. 

 


They dumped the soil over my friends. They literally buried them …. In a day, I lost my lifelong friendships... I couldn’t recognize the place I grew up in. Everything was changing so rapidly. A mixture called concrete was brought in. This is apparently a very strong binding material. And it was poured over my friends….

The binding material, tore apart all my bonds! I don’t know where the birds, insects and squirrels that used my friends as their homes, would go.. I could host them on me if they would allow, but I myself do not know, how much time I have with me…. 

There is so much of haste, blinding and a ‘I don’t care’ attitude in all the people who are working here, that I wonder if they really are from this beautiful city that I lived for 80 years… or are they even people or just robots following instructions!

I am the huge non-native raintree at Sangamwadi , on stretch no: 9 where the current River Front project is on. 

Join Pune River Revival campaign ( https://puneriverrevival.com ) to know more about the project, and help save 1250….



Photo credits: Arati Mhaskar ( Volunteer Pune River Revival) 

Comments

Popular Posts